NEED HELP? CALL US TODAY AT (780) 757-6400

FAQ for Immigration

Immigration lawyers in Alberta field many questions from people who want to enter the country as workers, students, or entrepreneurs. These are some of the most common topics of discussion when people explore how to move to Canada.

1. What is the Express Entry immigration program?

Canada’s Express Entry immigration system collects information from skilled workers to assess their qualifications. Your information about skills, education, language skills, and work experience along with other factors will produce a score. Individuals with good scores may get a chance to apply through the:

  • Federal Skilled Worker program
  • Federal Skilled Trades program
  • Canadian Experience program

2. What is the Comprehensive Ranking System score for Express Entry?

The CRS produces the score that will determine your eligibility within the Express Entry system. A total of 1,200 points is possible based primarily on your educational credentials, work experience, and language proficiency. According to the Canadian government, a maximum of 600 points are derived mostly from skill and experience factors. Another possible 600 points come from evaluating other factors, like a valid job offer, Canadian post-secondary school diploma or certificate, or nomination through a provincial program.

Your final score equals how many points you received from all categories. You’ll likely need a score of at least 450 for consideration although the points threshold can vary from year to year. If you have not explored opportunities through a Provincial Nominee Program, you may wish to do so. Provincial-level eligibility could improve your CRS score. An immigration attorney in Alberta would have information about what the province is currently looking for from people outside the country.

3. What is a Provincial Nominee Program?

Different provinces throughout Canada can have different needs regarding the workers most in demand for their regional economies. You may select provinces that interest you when creating an Express Entry profile. Alternatively, you may approach provincial programs directly. If the province determines that you’re eligible for nomination, then you would then need to add your information to the Express Entry program.

In Alberta, PNP opportunities for educated individuals who wish to start or buy a business or farm are currently available.

4. What is an employer-specific work permit in Canada?

When an employer extends a valid job offer, the Canadian government will issue you an employer-specific work permit as long as you meet other requirements for entering the country. This permit lists your employer, job location, and duration of authorized employment. You may also hear this permit referred to as a closed work permit because it is only valid for the employer named on the document.

5. What is an open work permit in Canada?

An open work permit allows an immigrant to Canada to take a job from any Canadian employer. To receive an open work permit, you must meet certain conditions, such as:

  • Spouse or partner of temporary foreign worker
  • Spouse or partner of international student
  • Graduation from a Canadian school in specific fields
  • Refugee

6. What is the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)?

Most people in Canada speak English or are English-French bilingual. As a result, immigration programs in Canada place a great value on your ability to function in an English-speaking society. Typically, you will need to pass the IELTS or CELPIP to move forward with the immigration process.

Many immigrants take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to prove their language abilities. The test includes two sections. One assesses your everyday language skills. The academic portion of the test evaluates your ability to use English in a post-secondary school setting.

7. What is the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)?

Canadian immigration authorities also accept positive results from the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP). This exam scores your ability to listen to English spoken with a Canadian accent as well as read, write, and speak the language. Applicants for permanent residency will need to take this test.

If you’re uncertain about your English skills, it’s a good idea to study and practice due to the importance of proving your abilities. Immigration lawyers in Edmonton may be able to recommend useful study aids to help you prepare.

8. How do I get a permanent resident card in Canada?

You must first receive an invitation from the Express Entry system to proceed with an application for permanent residency. Your invitation is valid for 60 days.

You’ll complete the permanent resident application within the Express Entry system. You’ll need to upload all documents requested by the government and provide complete and accurate responses to all questions. Fees must also be paid when you submit your application.

Due to the importance of obtaining your PR card, you may want to consult an Alberta immigration lawyer. Legal guidance could help you understand all questions and resolve issues that might come up as you collect necessary documents.

9. What Canadian government services are available to permanent residents?

A permanent resident is not a citizen of Canada. However, PR status entitles you to many of the normal benefits enjoyed by Canadian citizens. You will have:

  • Access to Canadian healthcare services and social services
  • Rights as guaranteed within the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
  • Ability to travel, live, and work anywhere in the country
  • Ability to re-enter Canada with your PR card or travel documents when you travel internationally

Additionally, permanent residency sets the stage for applying for citizenship should you desire it.

10. When can I apply for Canadian citizenship?

After living in Canada for a full three years as a permanent resident, you have the option of pursuing citizenship. You must apply, pay fees, meet eligibility, pass an exam, and prove your language competency. An immigration official will also interview you and administer an oath of citizenship.

11. Can I bring my family with me when I immigrate to Canada?

In some cases, you can bring your spouse or partner and dependent children with you when you immigrate. When filling out your application for permanent residency, you could include your spouse/partner, your dependent children under age 19, and your spouse’s/partner’s dependent children under age 19. Children above that age may only be included as dependents on your application if they are mentally or physically disabled and dependent on you.

Once you have a permanent resident status, you may qualify to sponsor the immigration of adult children, your parents, and other eligible relatives. To sponsor relatives, you must:

  • Reside in Canada
  • Have sufficient financial resources to help your relatives establish themselves in the new country
  • Not receive social assistance benefits except for disability

The intricacies of immigrating to Canada with your family will complicate your application process. Ideally, you’ll have the best immigration lawyer in Alberta to advise you as you prepare applications.

12. How can I go to college in Canada?

Canadian post-secondary schools welcome international students. As a student, you’ll be applying for a study permit. To receive this permit, you’ll need to show proof of acceptance as a student and financial resources to sustain yourself.

13. Can entrepreneurs immigrate to Canada?

Investors, entrepreneurs, and self-employed people may be eligible for permanent residency in Canada. People who can start a business and create jobs may qualify for a start-up visa. Your proposed business must qualify according to government guidelines, and you need a letter of support from a designated organization related to your industry. Language requirements will apply, and you must have the necessary financial resources to move to Canada and launch your business.

Immigrating to Canada as an entrepreneur will likely involve extra layers of bureaucracy as you seek proper documentation for your undertaking. Representation from an Edmonton immigration lawyer could help you manage the details of your endeavour successfully.

Legal Advice for Meeting Your Immigration Goals

If you are in Edmonton, Alberta, you have a knowledgeable immigration lawyer near me at Kolinsky Law. Although Canada is largely welcoming of immigrants, navigating the bureaucracy can be challenging. To begin the legal planning for your journey to Canada, contact our office today.

Let Us Help

Being charged with a criminal offence is a life-changing event but you don’t have to face this stressful situation alone.  Choosing a criminal lawyer that best represents your rights is important both to ease your fears and to advise and help you through the legal process.  At Kolinsky Law, our reputation, years in practice, and expertise help you find the best outcome possible no matter your situation.

or Call for a Consultation